[xubuntu-users] FTTC setup

Elfy ub.untu at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 20 13:32:26 UTC 2013

On 20/12/13 13:16, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Fibre to the Cabinet is now available here in Holsworthy, Devon. So I
> have had a quick look at what is involved. One thing I did not expect
> is that the new modem supplied by BT must be attached to the master
> phone socket. Since that is situated just inside our front door, in a
> small entrance hall, I have a problem. I suspect that others will also
> find this.
>
> At the moment I have my router and computers all set up in an upstairs
> bedroom. There is a phone extension socket here which works fine with
> ADSL. So I am wondering if anyone on this list has any experience of
> setting up FTTC, especially with regard to the siting of the master
> socket.
>
> Is it simple to have the socket moved to the upstairs bedroom (where
> the extension socket is already in use)? Or should try to set up a new
> extension cable from the hallway to the bedroom in preparation? Or
> does anyone have other suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

When they came to deal with mine - they were chatting to me as I had a
simple setup, master socket is in the same room as I wanted everything.

What they did say was they are able to deal with that sort of thing up
to about 10 metres.

So you might, with judicious applications of cuppa's, be able to get
them to help you out.

Elfy

PS Not normally one to extol the virtues of BT - but on the other hand
the engineers I've ever had have been more than helpful.

--
Ubuntu Forum Council Member
Xubuntu QA Lead