[xubuntu-users] How Do I Stop X Server in 13.10 ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 5 20:09:09 UTC 2013

IIUC it does work with a log in. You want that others use your account,
but they should not get root privileges. If so, set-up a root account
and remove the privileges given by sudo from your account. Or add a new
user, the new user automatically doesn't get root privileges. Copy your
home to the new users home, don't use your home in the future, but that
of the new user too and only switch back to the original user, to get
root privileges. IOW get one password for everybody and a password for
root privileges only known by you.

You can switch the user for a X session on the fly by several ways, I'm
using the "sledgehammer", since it's the way to do it with the less
effort:

xhost +
gksudo -u $username "$command $options"
xhost -