[xubuntu-users] network information

Ali Linx (amjjawad) amjjawad at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 11:49:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Norman Silverstone
<norman at littletank.org>wrote:

> So, my question is, allowing for the reduction in speed due to the air and
> so on, which piece of hardware is controlling the speed, is it the router
> or the wifi card in my computer? If changing either one or both would
> improve the situation, I would be prepared to do so.
>
> Thanks
>
> Norman

Dear Norman,

As I explained earlier and as Peter did the same, it is hard to tell which
part that you need to 'change' or 'replace' or 'upgrade' because it is
quite a scientific issue that I am trying to avoid the math behind it :D

It could be one of the following:

   - Your Internet Speed you signed up for with your ISP
   - Your Router or whatever device you use to connect to the Internet
   - Your Wireless Adapter
   - Driver for your Wireless Adapter
   - System (whatever issue related to the system you are using, such as
   version or Kernel which is mainly related to the default driver you are
   using right now)
   - Others factors like how far the router is away from your Wireless
   Adapter and so on.

So, to invest time figuring out which factor is causing that is pointless
if you ask me, simply, because that is the way the Wireless Networking
actually works. I do highly suggest to do some quick Google Search and read
about it for better understanding and clear picture :)

To make life easier I suggest:

   1. Use a Wire Connection (LAN) which is faster and much more stable.
   2. Tell us please what speed you have signed up with your ISP
   3. What www.speedtest.net is giving you?

Thank you!

--
*Remember: "All of us are smarter than any one of us."
*Best Regards,