[xubuntu-users] Solving sound crackling issues after upgrade to 13.04

Andy Proctor xubuntu.list at gpshelp.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 12:53:27 UTC 2013

All,

I upgraded to 13.04 today and the problem with the sound crackling in
skype and other programs came back. Luckily I'd kept the link to how I
fixed it before (after the 12.10 upgrade). The link is
http://askubuntu.com/questions/157891/skype-and-vlc-sounds-sizzle-distorted-bad
but the relevant parts are pasted below for your information. I applied
the solution and everything back to normal.

--------- from ask ubuntu ---------------
Disabling PulseAudio's Glitch Free Audio seems to have solved the
crackling for me (which became unbearable on Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2)

To do this, edit the /etc/pulse/default.pa file in your favourite text
editor.

Search for the following line:

load-module module-hal-detect
and append "tsched=0" to the end:

load-module module-hal-detect tsched=0
restart pulse (or just reboot your system), and the crackling should be
gone.

Not sure what the side effects are by disabling Glitch Free Audio, but I
can't seem to find any yet.

UPDATE: If you don't have a line with load-module module-hal-detect,
then search for following line:

load-module module-udev-detect
and append "tsched=0" to the end:

load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0
restart pulse (or just reboot your system), and the crackling should be gone

I hope this may help someone like it just helped me!

Regards

Andy