[xubuntu-users] Sound gone missing

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sat Apr 13 21:36:57 UTC 2013

On 04/13/2013 10:08 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 04/13/2013 04:17 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On 13/04/13 21:06, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> I have been happily running Xubuntu 12.04 for a while now. Suddenly this
>>> evening I find that there is no sound. I also notice that the volume
>>> icon is missing from the panel.
>>>
>>> When I try to start pulseaudio volume control I get a message that it is
>>> 'establishing connection to Pulseaudio ... please wait'. But it never
>>> starts.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me in the right direction please. I have never had any
>>> problem with sound before.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>> Strange!! It suddenly occurred to me to close down the computer and
>> restart, and sound is now working (and pulseaudio is running).  If
>> anyone has any ideas about that one I would be pleased to hear it,
>> especially as I would know what to look out for.
>
> Maybe some update occurred that required the re-boot and your system was
> just unstable until you did? Ric

Audio control was notoriously unstable under earlier Linuxes, and I used
to find things like disappearing icons and non-existent panels quite
frequently. Over the last 2-3 years it has stabilised and I haven't had
any problems like this (at least from Ubuntu). The idea that it is
reocurring is a little worrying. I hope this was a local and temporary
glitch.

Video (webcams), on the other hand, remains a fantasy in every distro I
have tried.

///Peter