[xubuntu-users] networking

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Apr 1 06:43:58 UTC 2013

Bill wrote:
> On 03/31/2013 05:26 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Bill wrote:
> >> I have a home network consisting of a desktop, laptop and dsl
> >> modem/router. I'm running xubuntu 12.04 on both computers (Linux
> >> xxxx-xxx-xxxxx 3.2.0-39-generic-pae #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 27
> >> 22:25:11 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux). Everything worked
> >> without a flaw until I had to reset the router following an isp
> >> (CenturyLink) problem.
> >>
> >> Now I can connect to the internet, and ping the gateway from both
> >> computers, but can not ssh or rsync or ping from one computer to
> >> the
> >> other. (However, I can telnet to port 22.) Attempts to connect
> >> yield
> >> "Destination Host Unreachable". So far as I can tell, all software
> >> and hardware necessary to doing so are installed and working
> >> properly.>
> > Are you using IP addresses or machine names when you try to ping,
> > ssh, etc.? How do the machines get their IP addresses? Do you use
> > manual address setup or DHCP? If it is DHCP, the router may have
> > decided to hand out different addresses than in the past after the
> > reset.
> IP addresses (i.e., 192.168.2.2, etc.), which are not manually
> assigned, so I assume DHCP.

If the addresses are not set manually, you are obviously using DHCP.
Please check the IP addresses of the machines again with ifconfig. If
the desktop had e.g. 192.168.2.2 in the past and now it is 192.168.2.7,
you can't connect to it from the laptop using the old address. However
you can reach other machines on the internet from both machines.

Nils