[xubuntu-users] networking

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 04:28:14 UTC 2013

On 03/31/2013 04:30 PM, Bill wrote:
> Greetings. For so long as I've used *nix and *ubuntu (over a decade) I
> should know the answer to this question, but for all of my hours of
> searching for an answer I can not seem to diagnose my problem. I hate to
> burden the list with something so simple, but I've run out of patience.
>
> I have a home network consisting of a desktop, laptop and dsl
> modem/router. I'm running xubuntu 12.04 on both computers (Linux
> xxxx-xxx-xxxxx 3.2.0-39-generic-pae #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 27 22:25:11
> UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux). Everything worked without a flaw
> until I had to reset the router following an isp (CenturyLink) problem.
>
> Now I can connect to the internet, and ping the gateway from both
> computers, but can not ssh or rsync or ping from one computer to the
> other. (However, I can telnet to port 22.) Attempts to connect yield
> "Destination Host Unreachable". So far as I can tell, all software and
> hardware necessary to doing so are installed and working properly.
>
> I have disabled and re-enabled all firewalls and iptables to no avail.
> I've run all of the commands I can find to diagnose the problem  (e.g.,
> ifconfig, route, traceroute, nslookup, iptables-save, nmap, netstat,
> dhclient, iwconfig, etc.).
>
> It must be something so simple that I am overlooking it; I had it set up
> and it worked... I also played with the router configuration (port
> forwarding to port 22 on both machines, changing the default server,
> etc.). I do not recall having this difficulty in getting the two
> machines to talk to one another in the past.
>
> My thought is that perhaps through the many updates that have been made
> since the release of 12.04 something of which I was unaware in the
> networking configuration has changed (both machines dual boot to Ubuntu
> 12.04, and I have the same problem in it)?

When I upgraded my HughesNet Sat, they changed from using the
192.168.0.X DHCP addresses to my machines. It seems this change was so
people could open VPN's on other networks that use 192.168.X.X
I now have a 100.64.X.X address. Try ifconfig and see what you got
handed. It might be telling. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html