[xubuntu-users] 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS with xubuntu-desktop, e17, and do-release-upgrade?

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Mon Sep 24 21:44:36 UTC 2012

Well it looks like it's time for me to upgrade to the next LTS release.
I'm thinking that do-release-upgrade should work. but I have a few worries
about the process.

1) There were several releases between 10.04 and 12.04.

	I'm hoping that since 12.04 is the first "LTS" since 10.04
	that I won't need to walk the process through each of the
	NON-LTS releases in between???

	BUT I'm unsure how to specify to the do-release-upgrade process
	that the target is 12.04 etc... (is it as simple as manually
	replacing all instances of the string "lucid" in the apt sources
	list(s) with the string "precise"???????

2) What online clues I've been able to find strongly suggest ensuring that
"ubuntu-desktop" IS installed first...

	But I originally installed as Xubuntu because I was running away
	from kde4 and I never could stand gnome. Worse yet, I added E17
	and except for an occasional romp with E16, I haven't booted any
	other WM/DE in a Looooooonng time. But I don't think there is an
	enlightenment-desktop (e16 OR e17) meta package So I'm thinking
	that since Xfce is arguably still installed that maybe just having
	xubuntu-desktop installed would be enough. (though I'd be a LOT
	more comfortable if there was an e17-desktop metapackage) ??

	Also how do I verify that I never uninstalled the xubuntu-desktop
	package???

3) do I need to do that as do-release-upgrade -d or what?

Could someone point me at a good, up to date, step by step how-to doc?

Thanks