[xubuntu-users] How can a custom-mounted drive show on desktop as mounted

dg1727 dg1727 at hushmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:29:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:56:14 -0400 Tom Stephens
<twstephens at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM, dg1727 <dg1727 at hushmail.com>
>wrote:
>> On Xubuntu 12.04.1, I have written a "udev" rule that calls a
>> custom shell script to mount a USB ext4fs drive with custom
>> mount options.  The drive gets mounted correctly so that the
>> "mount" command shows the drive and the correct options.  On
>> the XFCE desktop, however, the drive icon is grayed out, and
>> the icon's right-click menu has an option for "Mount Volume."
>>
>> Is there a way to have XFCE update the icon automatically, as
>> soon as the USB drive is inserted, to show that the volume is
>> already mounted?
>>
>> I have tried:
>>
>> thunar-volman --device-added /sys$DEVPATH
>>
>> where $DEVPATH is the sysfs path of the newly added device.
>>
>> Installed versions include xfdesktop 4.8.3, thunar-volman 0.6.1
>
>Have you tried to add the mount line to the fstab file?
>I used the fstab to make a mount point for an xfat usb drive, it
>paused whiloe loading,
>but worked nice when i plugged the drive in, i could mount it
>easier...
>
>if you need help, have a look at the man pages for the fstab file.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom.  I _don't_ want to use /etc/fstab
(which would require me to specify volume label, UUID, and/or block-
device name in the /etc/fstab file).  The volume in question will
be connected by USB, and any of those 3 attributes of the volume
could change.

Normally, when a USB drive (volume) is plugged in that isn't listed
in fstab, XFCE shows a desktop icon for this drive, and a right-
click on that icon shows "Eject Volume," indicating that the drive
is mounted.  I would like the same thing to happen with my custom-
mounted drive.

Maybe someone can propose a way to do this?

-dg1727