[xubuntu-users] failure to upgrade from 10.04 to 12.04.1

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 12:23:26 UTC 2012

Hello
This week I performed one system upgrade from Lucid to Precise on a
32-bit system and it went without any obvious issues. Today, however,
on a 64-bit machine, I tried to do the same upgrade but it failed.

dpkg complained of too many errors and aborted. (Because the last
window 'restart/close' was modal, I couldn't copy and save the list of
packages that couldn't be installed.) A bunch of packages---some
related to X.Org, I think---didn't get upgraded. Neither was grub, as
I still see the old grub after restart and I don't have the new
kernels available. The bootsplash is changed though.

Now I have a corrupted system containing part Lucid part Precise
packages, using a Lucid kernel. I cannot even boot to a virtual
console using a Lucid server kernel: The booting process halts at
about 7 seconds with a 'disconnected from plymouth' message. This
wasn't supposed to happen.

So how do I proceed?
Liviu

--