[xubuntu-users] DVD burner not loading new discs

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 23:48:26 UTC 2012

On 09/01/2012 07:35 PM, mischa falkenburg wrote:
> On 09/01/2012 07:07 PM, bob wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:58:41 -0400
>> mischa falkenburg <because_productions at myfairpoint.net> wrote:

>>> Are you ALL telling me that the problem is BECAUSE of the software, and
>>> NOT the hardware?
>>>
>>> M.
>> Well, this again my be a dumb answer, but as nobody offered an easy
>> way to test the hardware without trying other software, the suggestion
>> seems to be to try other software to see if your hardware works with
>> that.  If it works with Brasero, for example, you have a pretty good
>> idea the problem isn't the hardware.

> Whether I would use Brasero or something else is not to the point.
>
> The OS used to at least be able to load a blank disc and show it to me
> on the Desktop...that is not happening now. WHY(?) has been my question
> from the beginning. Is there some line in the code that I may have
> "messed up" somehow? How can I find out what the default settings are
> for Xubuntu and the dvd to "play nice"?

It did that to me too, at first. Then after a series of updates, it
works again. No clue on this end WHAT made that happen. This time, I
will NOT dink with the settings or tell it to behave by default in any
fashion. It ALWAYS comes up asking me what to do, and I do not assign a
default behavior. Now that it works, I am too timid to mess with it.
But, it will announce that is I have inserted a blank disk and what do I
want to do. Every time in the past I told it to do something by default,
it disappears. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html