[xubuntu-users] Tip: Use PCManFM

Michael Höhne mih-hoehne at web.de
Tue Oct 30 23:40:25 UTC 2012

David Gerard wrote:

> >> I just did successfully in Xfce 4.10 (Xubuntu 12.10). (Added
> >> "Places", went to a folder, it opened in PCManFM.)
>
> > I use 12.04 with Xfce 4.10. But it opens directories with Thunar!?
>
> Works for me.

You said it works in 12.10. I have 12.04 and it doesn't work...

> > I think it's called "custom actions" (I use german as my language).
> > You can define actions for some filetypes/directories/... which
> > will be shown when you (right-)click on a file/directory of that
> > type(s).
>

> I right-click, select "Open with ..." and pick a file type, with an
> option to remember it. Works for me.

I know this feature. But this is not really the same. You can do more
than define "open with..."-actions for mime-types. My english is not
the best, so I will not try to explain how I use it. But believe me:
This is a very nice feature to define special actions for special
filetypes (pictures, audio-files, directories...).

How would you define actions for _all_ audio-files or all directories
in a special menu outside the "open with..."?

Maybe, if PCManFM would be used by the Places-panelplugin in
12.04 ... ;-)

Regards,
Michael

--