[xubuntu-users] Version 12.10 and VBox

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Sun Oct 21 10:34:43 UTC 2012

On 20/10/12 18:16, theuteck at gmail.com wrote:

> I would recommend you use 12.04 since it will have 5 years of support, were as
> 12.10 will have 18 months of support.  12.10 is essentially the first beta of
> what will be the next LTS release 14.04, unless you want to ride the upgrade
> train every six months and deal with all the baggage that it entails.

Actually I don't do that. If a distro is supported for 18 months say,
then I stay with it for that time, even though new versions are
arriving. I certainly don't update every six months. But I agree that 5
years support is certainly better.

> 12.10 has updated graphics that are causing the problem with VBox, but will
> help with 3D gaming.

Thank you very much for that information. I did realise that 12.04 was a
LTS release, but I thought I would look at the new version anyway.

>From what you say it looks as though 12.10 will not work properly in
VBox. Since I have no interest in gaming the updated graphics you
mention are pointless to me.

I will stick with 12.04 LTS or look at some other distro.

Regards

Neil