[xubuntu-users] Version 12.10 and VBox

theuteck at gmail.com theuteck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 17:16:06 UTC 2012

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 05:09:31 PM Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Any Virtual Box experts out there? I have been considering moving to
> Xubuntu v 12.10 to replace my current distro which is a bit old now. I
> always check via VBox first. For the first time I have had a problem
> with the Guest Additions.
>
> I installed 12.10 (in VBox) without any problems. Then I installed the
> GA's as normal and restarted. One thing I like the most about having the
> GA's installed is that I get a full screen view. But this time I found
> that under the View menu the 'Auto-Resize the Guest Display' option was
> greyed out.
>
> I have never had this problem before, in fact I have Xubuntu 12.04
> installed in the same VBox (among others) and that one works just fine.
> So to make sure I installed from scratch again into a new VBox and then
> added the GA's. Same problem. I re-installed the GA's, same again.
>
> So if anyone can suggest where to look next I would be very grateful. Or
> is it a known problem with this latest version of Xubuntu?
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil

I would recommend you use 12.04 since it will have 5 years of support, were as
12.10 will have 18 months of support.  12.10 is essentially the first beta of
what will be the next LTS release 14.04, unless you want to ride the upgrade
train every six months and deal with all the baggage that it entails.

12.10 has updated graphics that are causing the problem with VBox, but will
help with 3D gaming.