[xubuntu-users] 12.10 Upgrade wrong User Permission

John Deakin john at humanaspects.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 13:22:50 UTC 2012

honeyshell,

Very strange!. With all the rebooting the system seems to have corrected
itself.

I opened "Users and Groups" again and this time it allowed me to change
"Custom" to "Administrator". After that I was able to add my wife's
account once more and all seems to be working fine - until she finds
some lurking problem.

Thanks for your help.

regards,
John

On 19/10/12 13:53, honeyshell wrote:
> sorry I forget some informations:
>
> Oki John,
>
> You tell "My account type has been set to "Custom" rather than
> "Administrator".
> I propose you to be Administrator ;)
>
> - boot on live cd
> - click on the "/" partition
> - open terminal
>
> - sudo nano  /media/partition_name_to_adapt*/etc/group*
> - find *adm:x:4:* and change it by adm:x:4:john  (if your login is "john")
> you can add your wife's login
> - save
>
> - sudo nano  /media/partition_name_to_adapt*/etc/passwd*
> - find john:x:1000:1000:john,,,:/home/john:/bin/bash
> (test with "1000")
> and you can for your wife's login adapt the home path.
> - save
>
> - restart on your xubuntu
> - log with john account, sudo should work
>
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM, honeyshell <honeyshell at honeyshell.com>wrote:
>
>> Oki John,
>>
>> You tell "My account type has been set to "Custom" rather than
>> "Administrator".
>> I propose you to be Administrator ;)
>>
>> - boot on live cd
>> - click on the "/" partition
>> - open terminal
>> - sudo nano  /media/partition_name_to_adapt*/etc/group*
>> - find *adm:x:4:* and change it by adm:x:4:john  (if your login is "john")
>> - save & restart on your xubuntu
>> - log with john account, sudo should work
>>
>> *
>> *
>> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:16 PM, John Deakin <john at humanaspects.co.uk>wrote:
>>
>>> honeyshell,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help but the problem is that my wife's account was
>>> eradicated during the upgrade and now when I bring up "Users Settings"
>>> my wife's account is not on the list and I don't have the capability to
>>> add one for her. My account type is shown as being "Custom" which does
>>> not appear to have the authority to add a user, so no account for wife.
>>>
>>> All her data files seem to be still in place but she will have no
>>> capability to access the computer.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> JohnD

>>> in