[xubuntu-users] 12.10 Upgrade wrong User Permission

John Deakin john at humanaspects.co.uk
Fri Oct 19 12:16:22 UTC 2012

honeyshell,

Thanks for your help but the problem is that my wife's account was
eradicated during the upgrade and now when I bring up "Users Settings"
my wife's account is not on the list and I don't have the capability to
add one for her. My account type is shown as being "Custom" which does
not appear to have the authority to add a user, so no account for wife.

All her data files seem to be still in place but she will have no
capability to access the computer.

regards,
JohnD

On 19/10/12 12:54, honeyshell wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> When you have physically a computer, you can do everything!
> In your case you can change your wife's password, so you will have sudo
> under her account!
> For that :
> - restart your computer
> - when grub appears, push <ESC>
> - choose  *Recovery Mode
> *- in the shell write: *passwd wife_s_login*
> - "passwd" will ask 2 times the new password for your wife's account
> - next, restart with*: shutdown -r now
>
> *Now you can use your wife account to complete the upgrade, and find the
> way to explain her why her password has changed  and what are you doing in
> her account!   [?]
>
> Have a good day
>
> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 12:30 PM, John Deakin <john at humanaspects.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> I have just upgraded to 12.10 and in doing so had to re-enter my
>> personal account information. On starting to use Xubuntu 12.10 I find
>> that my wife's account has been lost and when I went to User Settings to
>> add her to the list of accounts, I cannot. My account type has been set
>> to "Custom" rather than "Administrator" and I now cannot change any user
>> account settings.
>>
>> Is there a way of invoking User Settings in a terminal with "sudo", or
>> is there another way?
>>
>> She will be back soon and will have my guts for garters as she accuses
>> me of constantly screwing up her account. Help.
>>
>> --
>> regards,
>> JohnD
>>
>> --