[xubuntu-users] Distro switch ubuntu->xubuntu; apache not listening....

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 6 04:38:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I boot this machine into ubuntu 11.04, the apache server works for me.
> I've installed Xubuntu 12.04.1, and am trying to get its apache server
> to do the same.  I thought I copied all the config stuff, and
> rebooted.
> However, this setup does not have a user 'apache' like the old one
> does.  I configured apache to run as that user.  I'm not sure what
> user xubuntu expects apache to run as.
>
> Should I just create user and group 'apache"??  It seems too easy.

Ubuntu and Xubuntu use the exact same packages for Apache, they share
a repository.

Did you install Apache via the package manager? Is Apache running, but
just not serving pages? You can also take a look at
/var/log/apache2/error.log to see if there are clues there.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com