[xubuntu-users] Switching distros u->x Need help with grub /boot partition

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 23:47:18 UTC 2012

I installed xubuntu 12.04.1 along side my old ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  It is
able to boot both of them, so everything is going pretty well.
However, I need advice or help with management of the /boot directory.

Right now, I'm assuming the installed grub is using the /boot in the
xubuntu partition.  I'm a bit surprised that it's not only showing
kernels from there, but also showing kernels from the separate /boot
partition that I was using with ubuntu.  I'm no longer sure why I was
using a separate partition: it could have been an old BIOS restriction
that applied to LILO (may it rest in peace), or possibly because I
wanted to share it between installations.  Heck, this new mobo doesn't
even use a BIOS; I forget what this new thing is called, but I can use
a mouse and everything.

So I'm asking for verification: I'm pretty sure the location
restrictions were retired a long time ago, and it appears grub has
gotten smarter since I first started using it.  Can I expect
grub-update to find boot directories and boot partiitons and populate
them correctly without the need for a separate partition, or for
combined directories?  This would be wonderful, and it seems to be the
case, but fooling with the boot stuff is a good way to make my life
miserable for days.  I'd like to be sure.

Thanks.
--
Kevin O'Gorman