[xubuntu-users] Several issues with Quantal, especially with Evolution

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Nov 15 21:08:41 UTC 2012

Hi :),

I'm not sure what list to join regarding to desktop environment and
system issues. Until now I was subscribed to Ubuntu Studio devel and
users mailing lists only, I'm unsure if I have to join Xubuntu and/or
Ubuntu users too.

Perhaps Xubuntu is the right choice, since IIUC Ubuntu Studio quasi is
Xubuntu.

I've got issues with Evolution, when using Ubuntu Studio Quantal amd64,
so by Menu > System > User and Groups I add a test user.
I checked the same options that are checked for the original user.
Those options are

- Access external storage devices automatically
  (default for the original user)
- Configure printers
  (default for the original user)
- Connect to Internet using a modem
  (default for the original user)
- Monitor system logs
  (default for the original user)
- Share files with the local network
  (default for the original user)
- Use audio devices
  (default for the original user)
- Use CD-ROM drives
  (default for the original user)
- Use VirtualBox virtualization solution
  (manually add to the original user too)

Perhaps useful:
$ sudo cp -pr /home/test_user /home/test_user.default~

And after starting the first session I switched to tty1 and run:
$ sudo cp -pr /home/test_user /home/test_user.1_session~
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install evolution

I removed Evolution some time ago, so I had o reinstall it.
I was asked to restart the computer, so I restarted the machine.

When I launched Evolution by the menu, the "Account Assistant" started
with too much delay. Some text was missing, I anyway was able to use
the assistant and used the same settings as I use with Ubuntu Studio
Precise's Evolution. After setting up, I closed Evolution and launched
it again by a terminal emulation.

I was able to receive mails, but all GUI features are working in slow
motion. Editing mails doesn't work. Background colors are bad and the
editor window is unusable. I avoided to import mails or to share mails
with other installs. Note, the import option didn't work for the
original user, sharing emails was possible, but I still had issues with
sending, receiving, editing, and performance.

test_user at qrc:~$ evolution

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin:
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin:
DivX® Web Player

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin:
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin: VLC
Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 3.4.3)

(evolution:2463): libebackend-CRITICAL **: e_extension_get_extensible:
assertion `E_IS_EXTENSION (extension)' failed

** (evolution:2463): CRITICAL **: e_mail_formatter_clear_headers:
assertion `E_IS_MAIL_FORMATTER (formatter)' failed

** (evolution:2463): CRITICAL **: e_mail_formatter_set_default_headers:
assertion `E_IS_MAIL_FORMATTER (formatter)' failed

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin:
QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin:
DivX® Web Player

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin:
Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Totem)

(evolution:2463): e-web-view.c-WARNING **: Disabling webkit plugin: VLC
Multimedia Plugin (compatible Totem 3.4.3)

(evolution:2463): e-data-server-ui-WARNING **: ENameSelector: Could not
load "Personal": Cannot open book: Address book does not exist

For the original user I solved the address book issue, but editing
anyway only sometimes was possible.

Claws does work for Quantal, but with Claws I can't share mails with
other installs.

Another issue for both users:
test_user at qrc:~$ hwinfo --gfxcard
> hal.1: read hal dataprocess 2595: arguments to dbus_move_error() were
> incorrect, assertion "(dest) == NULL || !dbus_error_is_set ((dest))"
> failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-errors.c line 282.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
libhal.c 3483 : Error unsubscribing to signals, error=The name
org.freedesktop.Hal was not provided by any .service files [snip]

Test User Panel button > Lock Screen does work for the test_user, for
the original user it doesn't, I use gdmflexiserver instead.

Completely disabling screen blanking by using the GUI for Screensaver
and Power Managment and running

$ sudo xset -dpms
$ xset s off
$ setterm -powersave off -blank 0
setterm: cannot (un)set powersave mode: Invalid argument

doesn't work either.

Kernels 3.5.0-18-lowlatency, was 3.5.0-17-lowlatency before, both
started with threadirqs and $ uname -a
Linux qrc 3.6.5-rt14 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Fri Nov 2 21:36:37 CET 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,
Ralf