[xubuntu-users] Natty gone weird

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:22:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Jerry Longbottom <o987h789o at lavabit.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 03:23 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>>
>> I installed xubuntu-desktop on my Natty system a month or more ago,
>> and I've been exploring it fairly happily until today, when I did a
>> reboot.
>>
>> My workspace switcher no longer has more than 1 workspace, even though
>> I set it to have 8.  The number 8 shows up, but no corresponding
>> workspaces.  I've deleted it from the panel and started a new one, to
>> no avail.
>>
>> My applications start up with no window decorations: maximize,
>> minimize or goaway.  I can resize a window from the bottom right only,
>> but I'm unable to move the window.
>>
>> When I go back to a Ubuntu session all seems normal.
>>
>> What did I do wrong?
>>
> I assume you are using xfwm4 so open a terminal and run
> "xfwm4" if you are using compiz run "compiz"
> and see what it tells you

That redecorated my windows.  Thanks.

I was not running  compiz, I guess, because I got

compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window
manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window
manager.

or maybe this happened because I ran xfwm4 first.  Anyway, I'm getting
decorations, which is what I mostly care about.

Thanks again.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD