[xubuntu-users] WTF: workspace switcher stopped working

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:14:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wouldn't know compiz from a hole in the screen.
>>>
>>> alt+f3 does exactly nothing.
>>
>> Since there are multiple problems, varying somewhat with the type of
>> session, I think one plan is to create a new user and move stuff over
>> to it.
>>
> Have fun with it.

Thank you.  I did.

Now the odd thing is that almost all of these problems went away
before I really started to get down to it.  I did start xfwm4 with
A-F2, which re-decorated my windows.  I also logged out, unmounted my
home directory, and loged in.  This put me in the underlying mount
point which had dotfiles from about a year ago.  Things went well, and
I planned to use those dotfiles in my recovery.

I rebooted, which re-mounted my normal home directory, and now all
three session-types that I tried (Ubuntu, xfce, and xubuntu) are now
behaving well.  I had to re-populate launchers on my Xfce panel, and
re-configure the xfce workspace switcher (which was magically again
possible), but it seems good now.

This makes me think the damage and fixes were saved somewhere besides
my home directory and its dotfiles, but there were so many variables I
could not begin to guess where.

Anyway, I'm back to a workable situation.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD