[xubuntu-users] combining folder contents

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Thu May 24 06:18:58 UTC 2012

On 23/05/12 22:55, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 05/23/2012 03:22 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>> < snip >
>>>>
>>> It's not clear what you want Norman. Do you mean to move or copy the
>>> contents from one folder to the other without overwriting the same
>>> files?
>>> Or do you mean to do this like Luna suggests. Please explain.
>>
>> OK, I'll start again. I am trying to copy folders and their contents
>> from Evolution to Thunderbird and, as example, take the folder called
>> 'norman'. I find the folder named 'norman' in Evolution and, in a
>> separate window open up where I think the contents of the folder should
>> go in Thunderbird. So, rt. click on folder 'norman' and select copy then
>> rt. click in the Thunderbird window and select paste. Up pops a message
>> which says this folder already contains a file called "norman". Surely,
>> the fact that it contains a file with the same name as a folder should
>> not prevent the folder from being copied without replacing the existing
>> file. I suppose what I really want is a folder called 'norman' in
>> Thunderbird into which I can copy the contents of the folder in
>> Evolution but there isn't one. Should I make one or what?
>>
>> I hope that gives you a better idea of my dilemma.
>
> I doubt those files are compatible. From evolution I recall you can
> export the emails to a backup file, which Tbird can import. I think that
> might be the only way to go. Ric

I think that part of the problem is because Evolution is on an old
machine and Thunderbird on a new one. Also the fact that I have started
using Thunderbird means that I would prefer to be able to retain mail I
have already received. Perhaps if I set up Thunderbird on the evolution
machine, copy the files needed from Evolution to Thunderbird on that
machine and then transfer the result, using an external HDD, to the new
machine I would achieve what I want. What do do you think, please?

Norman