[xubuntu-users] combining folder contents

TOM TOM thomasthoma at gmail.com
Wed May 23 19:36:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Norman Silverstone
<norman at littletank.org>wrote:

> < snip >
>

>>>  It's not clear what you want Norman. Do you mean to move or copy the
>> contents from one folder to the other without overwriting the same files?
>> Or do you mean to do this like Luna suggests. Please explain.
>>

> OK, I'll start again. I am trying to copy folders and their contents from
> Evolution to Thunderbird and, as example, take the folder called 'norman'.
> I find the folder named 'norman' in Evolution and, in a separate window
> open up where I think the contents of the folder should go in Thunderbird.
> So, rt. click on folder 'norman' and select copy then rt. click in the
> Thunderbird window and select paste. Up pops a message which says this
> folder already contains a file called "norman". Surely, the fact that it
> contains a file with the same name as a folder should not prevent the
> folder from being copied without replacing the existing file. I suppose
> what I really want is a folder called 'norman' in Thunderbird into which I
> can copy the contents of the folder in Evolution but there isn't one.
> Should I make one or what?
>
> I hope that gives you a better idea of my dilemma.
>

> Norman

if you want to migrate from Evolution to Thunderbird maybe have a look at
this:
https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird?s=migrating%20from%20evolution%20to%20thunderbird
Otherwise, you could try moving the file called "norman" elsewhere, then
copy the folder and see if there's any problem.