[xubuntu-users] disappearing thunderbird settings

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed May 23 04:32:09 UTC 2012

On 05/22/2012 04:03 PM, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> On 05/22/2012 05:30 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>> Continuing with my task of setting up Thunderbird I created a number of
>> sub folders to inbox and set up message filters for them and all was
>> working as it should. I needed to re-boot my PC so I closed Thunderbird,
>> re-booted and re-opened Thunderbird only to find all my settings had
>> disappeared including several emails. Can any one tell me what I could
>> have done wrong, please?
>>
>> Norman
>>

> This is absolutely different from anything you and me would call regular.
>
> You might close Tbird and then for a test rename your .thunderbird
> folder to something else. After this thunderbird should start with a
> window that prompts you for your incoming email server (imap or pop) and
> your outgoing mailserver (smtp). Enter all your details in there and,
> please, do not leave this page until all tests for incoming and outgoing
> have been passed successfully. You might have to experiment with
> authentication methods and the like.
>
> Then your email should be working, as expected.
> You might proceed from there.
>
> I hope this helps you along. Imho Thunderbird by far is the easiest
> client to setup for internet mail. So you will surely be using it in no
> time.

That is indeed something strange for Thunderbird to do, unless it
happened to be compacting the folders when he closed it. Me, during
upgrade I have the entire .thunderbird folder backed up. When I started
up 12.04, I just re-installed the folder back, before I started
Thunderbird, and it picked up right where I left it when I did. I wonder
if he ran "Compact Folders" which is under the "Files" tab, and see if
that cleans everything up?? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html