[xubuntu-users] thunderbird - setting up

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Tue May 22 21:43:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Neil Winchurst <neilwin at drofle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 22/05/12 12:47, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> On 22/05/12 12:36, ru wrote:
>>>>
>>> Hmmm Do you get an error when you try to send? eg, in the left hand
>>> bottom corner does it say something like: Authentication Failed.
>>>
>>>  Sorry I can't think of the exact error message.
>>>
>>> Also go to Account Settings, and click the name of your Account and in
>>> that window make sure that the Outgoing Server(SMTP) is set to your SMTP
>>> server and not to Use Default Server.
>>>

>> Depending on your set up, is your outgoing server the same as your
>> incoming mail server? I had problems at first because my SMTP server is
>> quite separate from my incoming servers.
>>
>> Anyway, I don't need authentication on my outgoing server so I did as
>> follows.
>>
>> Edit --> Account Settings --> Outgoing Server (SMTP). Then I clicked on
>> Edit. Under Security and Authentication, Connection security, I selected
>> None and under Authentication method I chose No authentication. Now I
>> can sent mail without any problems because I am not asked for a password.
>>
>> By the way, I am using port 25.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Further to the above, I had no problems receiving messages, it was
> sending them where I was being asked for a password. That sounds to me
> like your problem. The changes shown above sorted it out for me. It

I read through the posts thinking what was wrong as i used to use
Tbird. You're right on the following

> seems that TBird treats incoming and outgoing mail separately.

I had an aol account and three gmail accounts and set up each
individually. I never understood the default setting and didn't ever
get it to work properly. I've stopped using Tbird now as i found it so
slow - switched to Alpine which is so fast compared with any other
email client.

james