[xubuntu-users] dual boot problem

TOM TOM thomasthoma at gmail.com
Sat May 12 07:51:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Norman Silverstone
<norman at littletank.org>wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 22:58 +0100, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> > On 11/05/12 21:14, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> > > I am having problems in setting up a new PC and would welcome help,
> > > please. The machine has 2 HDDs one for OS and applications and the
> other
> > > for data. Windows XP Pro was installed and then followed, so I thought,
> > > by Xubuntu 12.04. There was a problems in that Grub was not functioning
> > > and all my attempts to rectify this failed. A closer look at things
> > > showed that XP Pro was installed on 1 HDD and, for some unknown reason,
> > > Xubuntu had installed on the other HDD.
> > >
> > > So that I can try to install Xubuntu on the same HDD as XP Pro I need
> > > remove Xubuntu from its present location. How do I do this, please.
> > >
> > > Norman
> > >

> > Are you definitely sure that there are two physical HDDs or just two
> > partitions on the same disk? If they are separate, grub has to be
> > installed on whichever one has been selected in the BIOS to boot
> > properly. If they are just two partitions, then Xubuntu and XP pro
> > cannot be installed into the same partition, you need to install Xubuntu
> > to a second partition, and make sure that in the install process the
> > location of grub is set to the drive used for booting (probably
> > /dev/sda). If you are still unsure, please could you post some
> > screenshots so that I can take a look.
> >
> > Joshua
>
> I am absolutely sure that there are two physical HDDs because I bought
> the PC with the 2 HDDs. Applying the procedures you have previously
> indicated 2 HDDs show in the directory, a 500MB and a 250MB. Moreover
> the 500MB contains Windows and the 250MB all the folders you would
> expect in Xubuntu. Finally the BIOS shows 2HDDs.
>
> I may not be very computerate but I am certain about this problem.
>
> Norman

1. If your problem is that Grub is not showing and the system boots staight
to XP, then try changing the HDD's boot order and see what happens.

2. Otherwise, If you're sure you want to remove Xubuntu from the 2nd HDD
and put it on the 1st HDD:
     *make sure to back up everything from current Xubuntu AND XP  system.
     *turn off the PC and with caution unplug the cable connecting the 2nd
HDD to the motherboard or it's power cable (either of them)
     *turn on the PC and see if it boots to XP fine.
     *restart and install Xubuntu
     *after the installation finishes and grub works fine, turn off the PC
and plug the 2nd HDD back on.
     *boot to Xubuntu, install gparted and carefully delete all the Xubuntu
partitions in the 2nd HDD (make sure it's the correct sized one!)
     *finally extend the data partition to cover the unallocated space.
       good luck and be careful!