[xubuntu-users] dual boot problem

Norman Silverstone norman at littletank.org
Sat May 12 06:43:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 22:58 +0100, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 11/05/12 21:14, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> > I am having problems in setting up a new PC and would welcome help,
> > please. The machine has 2 HDDs one for OS and applications and the other
> > for data. Windows XP Pro was installed and then followed, so I thought,
> > by Xubuntu 12.04. There was a problems in that Grub was not functioning
> > and all my attempts to rectify this failed. A closer look at things
> > showed that XP Pro was installed on 1 HDD and, for some unknown reason,
> > Xubuntu had installed on the other HDD.
> >
> > So that I can try to install Xubuntu on the same HDD as XP Pro I need to
> > remove Xubuntu from its present location. How do I do this, please.
> >
> > Norman
> >

> Are you definitely sure that there are two physical HDDs or just two
> partitions on the same disk? If they are separate, grub has to be
> installed on whichever one has been selected in the BIOS to boot
> properly. If they are just two partitions, then Xubuntu and XP pro
> cannot be installed into the same partition, you need to install Xubuntu
> to a second partition, and make sure that in the install process the
> location of grub is set to the drive used for booting (probably
> /dev/sda). If you are still unsure, please could you post some
> screenshots so that I can take a look.
>
> Joshua

I am absolutely sure that there are two physical HDDs because I bought
the PC with the 2 HDDs. Applying the procedures you have previously
indicated 2 HDDs show in the directory, a 500MB and a 250MB. Moreover
the 500MB contains Windows and the 250MB all the folders you would
expect in Xubuntu. Finally the BIOS shows 2HDDs.

I may not be very computerate but I am certain about this problem.

Norman