[xubuntu-users] Version 12.04

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Thu May 3 12:13:56 UTC 2012

On 02/05/12 22:43, Joshua O'Leary wrote:

> Hi,
> As a suggested solution for editing the first weekday, after editing the
> locales file, did you run:
> sudo locale-gen
> To update it? This forum post may be useful:
>
> Joshua

As I have already said, this did the trick for me. I find it interesting
to compare this with my other distro Kubuntu.

Xubuntu

Open up /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_GB in a text editor.
In the section LC_TIME find the line first_weekday 2.
Change the 2 to a 1 and save the file.
In a terminal screen run sudo locale-gen.
Close down and restart the distro.

(Note that the text file is owned by root so you need to find a way
round that or you can't save the change. Note also that it is not
obvious which file to edit.)

Kubuntu

Menu --> Settings --> System settings.
Click on Locale
Open the Calendar tab
>From the drop down menu under First day of the week, choose the day you
want.
Click on Apply
Return to the desktop. Job done.

IMHO the Kubuntu way is easier and more intuitive. It seems that Orage,
in Xubuntu, takes its defaults from the relevant locale file. This will
not always be what people want, and it is not obvious how  to change it.

However, I do like Xubuntu. I am thinking of upgrading my computer to a
more up-to-date distro and Xubuntu is certainly on the list.

Thanks for the help,

Neil