[xubuntu-users] ssh and ssh-agent and always asking for passphrase...

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Tue May 1 15:13:47 UTC 2012

On 01/05/12 09:53, ru1812 at gmail.com wrote:
> seahorse works fine for me, deleting the keyrings folder in .gnome2
> works for awhile but the same old problem returns ,the issue is that
> the keyring is not unlocking when you login.
>
> On , Benoit <frombenny at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> >

> > No Seahorse doesn't work.
> >

> > Just delete the content of the "keyrings" folder in ~/.gnome2 and
> > restart.
> >

> > It worked for me. The content had been refilled since but I haven't
> > till now the keyring paraphrase anymore.
> >

> > Le 01/05/2012 06:30, Ru a écrit :
> > Do you mean the keyring paraphrase ? I had this
> > problem with password in Pidgin always asking me for the
> > Passphrase when ever I started it. To solve this problem I
> > installed seahorse password and encryption manager   you can find
> > it in the software center  just search for seahorse
> >

> > hope this helps.
> >

> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Italo
> > Maia italo.maia at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > When I use ssh with ubuntu, it asks me once for the ssh
> > passphrase and all the subsequent ssh atempts go without any
> > passphrase request. With xubuntu, it keeps asking for the
> > passphrase
> > whenever I use ssh. Why is that? How can I get xubuntu to
> > behave more like ubuntu in this matter.
> >

> > --
> >
> > "A arrogância é a arma dos fracos."
> >

> > ===========================
> >
> > Italo Moreira Campelo Maia
> >
> > Bacharel em Ciência da Computação - UECE
> >
> > Desenvolvedor WEB e Desktop (Java, Python, Lua)
> >
> > Coordenador do Pug-CE

> > http://www.italomaia.com/
> >
> > http://twitter.com/italomaia/
> >
> > http://eusouolobomau.blogspot.com/

> > Turtle Linux  9.10 - http://tiny.cc/blogturtle910
> >
> > Turtle Linux 10.10 - http://bit.ly/cEw4ET

> > --
> >
> > "Never Let anyone
> >
> > Tell You How To Live Your Life,
> >
> > Value Your Freedom"
> >

> > ~Rebecca McCarthy (1947-1998)~

You could make this work on any program without a password by copying
the client's public key (~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub or id_rsa.pub on the client
machine) and pasting it into ~/.ssh/authorised_keys on the server
machine. That way your connection is very secure without having to enter
a password on any program.

Joshua