[xubuntu-users] modern window-manager for an old ctwm user?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 03:40:23 UTC 2012

On 03/19/2012 10:45 PM, Carl Alexander wrote:
> Hi all---
>
> I'm an old X hand who's been away for a while.  A few weeks
> ago  I installed xubuntu 11.10 --- my first x11 head in five
> years.  I've been using it without customizing the UI, so as
> to get comfortable with the new normal.   Now I have a pretty
> good idea what I love about the new --- and what I miss about
> the old.  So I'm looking for some advice, which I suspect
> will take the form of recommendations for window-managers.
>
> I already know that my old window-manager (ctwm) is not the
> right answer.  So I'm hoping people can tell me about modern
> window-managers that can DWIW, possibly in combination with
> something devil's pie.  (The first draft of this mail was
> pretty long-winded.  I'll be happy to send anyone who really
> cares the explanation in it of _why_ ctwm won't do.  But I'm
> betting most of you couldn't care less.)

You'd win that bet. Hands down. No contest. It's old and crufty. I thank
my Creator nightly that it has rightfully died and is moldern' in de
grave, with a right high shine on it.

> There are two critical features ctwm that I want from a new
> window-manager:  DontMoveOff, and Occupy.
>
> DontMoveOff (which IIRC goes all the way back to twm) prevents
> windows from being dragged off the workspace --- not even partway
> off:  if you grab a window by the titlebar and drag it in ctwm, it
> will stop when its leading edge meets the edge of the desktop.
> (This is sort of the opposite of the feature in xfcewm where
> draging a window to the border between workspaces will switch
> you into that workspace, bringing the window with you --- a
> feature I would happily do without).

Well, there ya go. I LOVE that feature. I refuse to use Gnome as it
lacks that feature. Especially when you have your workspaces set to
adjoin so that by moving an application's open window to the next
workspace also means that you move there too.

Owell, just open Preferences and set your windows to not move to
adjoining work spaces selecting "Window Manager" / "Advanced" and turn
off the "Wrap" features. Piece O Cake.

Myself, I couldn't live without that feature. It reminds me of Window's
version of Hell, where souls are tortured for eternity in one stinkin'
congested workspace. <shudders> :) Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html