[xubuntu-users] How to get rid of all splash screens etc. and/or stop lighdm?

Kaj Haulrich kaj.haulrich at adslhome.dk
Sat Mar 17 16:42:47 UTC 2012

On 03/17/2012 05:11 PM, Chris Green wrote:
> I need to diagnose slow start-up and shutdown issues so it would be nice
> to be able to get rid of all the pretty (but totally pointless) splash
> screens and GUIs which run at start-up and shutdown.
>
> Ideally I'd like to be able to do what one used to be able to do by
> setting the run level in /etc/inittab such that no attempt was made to
> start X after booting.  Then one could run startx manually to start the
> X server.
>
> I've attempted to configure grub to run in text mode at start up but,
> after showing me the boot selection screen all I get is a black screen
> and a cursor, no output at all.
>
> Also, at shutdown, how can I disable the xubuntu splash screen and see
> what's happening?

Open a Terminal and:
sudo leafpad /etc/default/grub
[give password]
in the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
delete quiet splash - leave the space between " and " empty
so it reads:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
save the file
exit leafpad
now in the terminal:
sudo update-grub
exit the terminal
reboot

HTH
Kaj Haulrich
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 12.04 ---------