[xubuntu-users] How to get rid of all splash screens etc. and/or stop lighdm?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Mar 17 16:11:00 UTC 2012

I need to diagnose slow start-up and shutdown issues so it would be nice
to be able to get rid of all the pretty (but totally pointless) splash
screens and GUIs which run at start-up and shutdown.

Ideally I'd like to be able to do what one used to be able to do by
setting the run level in /etc/inittab such that no attempt was made to
start X after booting.  Then one could run startx manually to start the
X server.

I've attempted to configure grub to run in text mode at start up but,
after showing me the boot selection screen all I get is a black screen
and a cursor, no output at all.

Also, at shutdown, how can I disable the xubuntu splash screen and see
what's happening?

--
Chris Green