[xubuntu-users] Ubiquity crash during install

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 5 15:56:36 UTC 2012

On 05/03/12 07:15, Sandy Harris wrote:
> I have Xubuntu 11.10-i386 desktop on a fairly recent Acer
> Aspire laptop. Model name not to hand, but bought only
> a couple of months back. It came with a 320 G hard drive;
> I installed Xubuntu&  Win XP, and both worked fine.
>
> Then I replaced the hard drive with a 64 G SSD. On the
> SSD, I installed Xubuntu from a USB key, no problem.
> 40-odd G for /, 4 swap, 15 saved for XP.
>
> Then I installed XP, no problem except now Xubuntu
> does not boot. That does not matter in this case; I can
> just re-install Xubuntu.
>
> Try installing. I am completely certain the USB key is
> the same one I used for the first Xubuntu install on the
> SSD, 90+% certain it is the same as for the original
> install on the hard drive. But it now fails.
>
> I got an error message from Ubiquity several times,
> reported it to bug tracker, and turned it off. Install
> attempts cause the LED on the USB key to flicker
> a while, then nothing.
>
> This is not a new bug. Web search shows it, or
> something very similar, has been around since
> Dapper.
>
> There is at least one doc bug too. Looking at the
> script invoked, it uses "ubiquity --desktop" and
> "man ubiquity" does not show that option.
>
> As I write, I'm downloading the 12.04 beta to see
> if the problem is fixed there.

You could try the alternate installer
<http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/oneiric/release/>, which
has lower hardware requirements and can be more stable (though not as
user friendly!). Ubuntu not booting after an XP install would be XP
overwriting the master boot record, which you can fix from a live cd
<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275> (issue no.13).

Joshua