[xubuntu-users] sshd not accepting connections

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 22:02:44 UTC 2012

On Jun 29, 2012 9:51 AM, "Joshua O'Leary" <joshua.oleary at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> On 28/06/12 20:40, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> Update:
>>
>> No, I can't telnet to it from itself.
>>
>> I tried installing ufw and gufw, but even with the "default"
configuration I got from the Debian to-do list for Precise, it doesn't work.

>> In fact, that configuration also blocks my samba shares (!).
>>
>> So I have no firewall running.
>>
>> I'm still kind of a novice with network stuff, even after all my years
with Unix & Linux.  (sigh)

> When you ssh/telnet into a host, are you doing it by hostname or ip? If
you are just doing it by hostname, try doing it by ip - some routers can be
very glitchy (e.g. homehub 3) with assigning ip addresses to hostnames.

Always by IP addr - my machine doesn't map to a name (because I run ubuntu
instead of Windows...).