[xubuntu-users] Video players all show black screen

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 07:11:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone seen this?  My mplayer is showing nothing but black in the
> video of a video playback - AVIs, MP4s and WMVs fail, but MPGs, MOVs
> and FLVs are fine.  Also, my VLC also shows black for DVD ICOs and
> pretty much everything except a few that play really jrekily and in a
> tiny fragment of the window.
>
> I have no idea what happened - mplayer failed between two plays of the
> same video - the first play worked and the second one was blank.

I poked around and reinstalled all the codecs that were on the
machine.  I did libavcodec53 first, and that seems to have solved the
"play a video in its native sized window" problem, but if I go full
screen, the video freezes on the last small frame and the rest of the
screen stays black.

Same problem persists after I reinstalled all the codecs, and mplayer,
too.  VLC still has the same problems.

I haven't tried rebooting, but I feel I shouldn't have to....