[xubuntu-users] you have got to be kidding me

Michael Comperchio compercm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:35:37 UTC 2012

On 06/10/2012 08:09 AM, Joshua O'Leary wrote:
> On 10/06/12 10:58, Benoit wrote:
>> Le 10/06/2012 01:29, Kevin O'Gorman a écrit :
>>> You don't get a new Windows version every 6 months.  Maybe there's a reason.
>>  And for some of us who had installed an XP recently with :
>>
>>   * CD that hard to boot on
>>   * a partitionning process that had deleted your data partition
>>     because you hadn't had the driver for your hard drive (sata
>>     drives didn't exist in 2002).. and to make it works, you have to
>>     boot on a floppy (very very slow when it works because USB wasn't
>>     available before the service pack2 and wasn't included in the
>>     install process before Vista),
>>   * as it's an old OS, you'll have a lot, and a lot of update to make,
>>   * a lot of drivers to find on the manufacturer's sites
>>   * and after the complete installation when you want to activate it
>>     they say you can't because you had already installed it 5
>>     times... 6 to 12 hours of hard work for nothing.
>>   * And the viruses had made you reinstall Windows more than once..
>>

>> So I won't go back to Windows even for a million $ !
>>
>> Don't forget that Linux is only the kernel. A distribution is GNU/Linux.
>>
>> You have a large choice of interfaces : KDE, Gnome
>> 2/Gnome-Shell/Unity, Xfce, Lxde, Enlightenment,...
>>
>> You have a large choice of distributions : http://distrowatch.com/
>>
>> But also a large choice of filemanagers, network managers, ... If the
>> choice made by the distribution doesn't fit to you, you can customize
>> it..
>>
>> First, ask and answer a few questions :
>> - needs 9gig of ram to display what ?
>> - texts ? videos ? games ?
>> - if it's only text, 1gig is sufficient
>> - is it an applications server ? So the RAM to share has to be
>> function of the users connected,..
>>
>> The stable Ubuntu versions are the second versions of LTS (12.04.1)
>> as said before. But, you can use a genuine Debian for your
>> development and an Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu desktop just for the tests.
>>
>> Precise your needs and, then, ask for help.
>>
>> Benoit
>>

> Have you tried resetting XFCE's config?
> rm -rf ~/.config/xfce4
> Also, what graphics card do you have? Nvidia are known to be
> problematic. If you want something highly stable, something like
> debian with longer release schedules may be more suitable.
> Joshua

Again, I'll start out with an apology for losing my temper.

But it did work. And quite well for a long time, 'til the 12.04 upgrade.

FIrst, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 has worked fine for a couple of years
and upgrades. Second, some folks are questioning all the RAM (9gb). I
routinely keep two virtual machines running inside Xubuntu. The first
running that 'infamous' XP (it runs WAY better in VirtualBox than it
ever ran standalone) because it was the desktop standard where I was
working, and the second running Win7 (because once I got XP running, it
seemed like a good challenge to get Win7 running). When I have both of
those machines running I pretty much have most of that ram being used.

I am about to reboot after resetting the XFCE configuration per a
suggestion. If it doesn't do it I guess I'll stick with KDE Plasma and
deal with all the quirks.

I really do want to run a Linux system, and REALLY don't want to have to
reinstall it. It took me quite a while to get Xubuntu to where I was
really comfortable using it... would really just like to fire up the
Flux Capacitor and go back a month!
--

Michael Comperchio

michael.comperchio at gmail.com
860 387 2650
44 Eagle St, 3 fl
Torrington, CT. 06790
*/Computers were created to help people become more productive... then
someone invented the internet./*