[xubuntu-users] you have got to be kidding me

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 11 20:45:00 UTC 2012

On 11/06/12 20:48, TOM TOM wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com
> <mailto:wayward4now at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/10/2012 05:58 AM, Benoit wrote:
>
>         Don't forget that Linux is only the kernel. A distribution is
>         GNU/Linux.
>

>     Sez who? A bunch of "mustabators" telling me, and everyone else,
>     what we MUST call it? I'll call it what I like as I darned well
>     please. Ric
>

>     --
>     My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
>     "There are two Great Sins in the world...
>     ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
>     Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
>     http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html
>
>     --
>

> being a mustardator myself, I must tell you that GNU is pure
> awesomeness and without it  our world would be much uglier
> and linux would be Linus's minix and no one would have bothered with
> it. Tom

Yeah, it would actually be almost impossible to run the Linux kernel on
its own without any GNU utilities (many of which are included in the
initial ramdisk) - try it and you'll get 'kernel panic - not
syncing...'.  GNU is also needed for licensing - without it we wouldn't
have GPL, needed to protect the kernel/os to keep it open source.