[xubuntu-users] you have got to be kidding me
frombenny at aliceadsl.fr
Sun Jun 10 09:58:38 UTC 2012
Le 10/06/2012 01:29, Kevin O'Gorman a e'crit :
> You don't get a new Windows version every 6 months. Maybe there's a reason.
And for some of us who had installed an XP recently with :
* CD that hard to boot on
* a partitionning process that had deleted your data partition because
you hadn't had the driver for your hard drive (sata drives didn't
exist in 2002).. and to make it works, you have to boot on a floppy
(very very slow when it works because USB wasn't available before
the service pack2 and wasn't included in the install process before
* as it's an old OS, you'll have a lot, and a lot of update to make,
* a lot of drivers to find on the manufacturer's sites
* and after the complete installation when you want to activate it
they say you can't because you had already installed it 5 times... 6
to 12 hours of hard work for nothing.
* And the viruses had made you reinstall Windows more than once..
So I won't go back to Windows even for a million $ !
Don't forget that Linux is only the kernel. A distribution is GNU/Linux.
You have a large choice of interfaces : KDE, Gnome 2/Gnome-Shell/Unity,
Xfce, Lxde, Enlightenment,...
You have a large choice of distributions : http://distrowatch.com/
But also a large choice of filemanagers, network managers, ... If the
choice made by the distribution doesn't fit to you, you can customize it..
First, ask and answer a few questions :
- needs 9gig of ram to display what ?
- texts ? videos ? games ?
- if it's only text, 1gig is sufficient
- is it an applications server ? So the RAM to share has to be function
of the users connected,..
The stable Ubuntu versions are the second versions of LTS (12.04.1) as
said before. But, you can use a genuine Debian for your development and
an Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu desktop just for the tests.
Precise your needs and, then, ask for help.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the xubuntu-users