[xubuntu-users] Video Display garbled

Ralf ranfyy ranfyy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 13:23:49 UTC 2012

2012/7/21 Dennis <fraggle.rok at gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I've just assembled a new box, MB is ASUS P8Z77-V LX.  I did an install of
> 12.04 xubuntu and am having video garbled/garbage issues.  I'm using the
> on-board graphics (Intel HD)
>
> The Xubuntu initial display with the progress bar is fine.  When the login
> dialog displays that's when the trouble starts.  There is large amounts of
> pixelation, blocky sections, defects etc.  It is clearly not rendering
> properly.  It is not like other video issues I saw on other web forums - not
> full screen defects with repeating lines or patterns (which suggests a
> hardware problem or defect)
>
> I am familiar enough with the xubuntu screens so I am able to login, run
> updates etc.  When I switch to a console, all is 100% clean/clear/crisp.
> When I am sitting in the graphical screen, it tends to go into a monitor
> blank-out / display again cycle as well, almost as if a process is hunting
> for a video mode or perhaps a process dies/respawns.
>
> I tried changing screen resolution (no change), connecting to a VGA cable
> instead of DVI (no change) and even to a different monitor.   I did boot
> another live linux distro (SLAX) and it came up in KDE environment with
> perfect graphics (it had network card issues, but that is a different
> problem) so I tend to think driver is the problem?
>
> Suggestions for troubleshooting?  Log files that might help me?

uteck already told you that.

> How do I
> find out what driver was loaded?

$ lspci -v

also shows which kernel module gets loaded for the card.

There where some problems with the Intel graphics drivers in the 3.x
kernel line:
  http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Kernel-Log-Intel-hibernate-bug-fixed-1503282.html

But I thought basically only with hibernate (?)

> Thanks!
> Dennis

Ralf