[xubuntu-users] Need help viewing video from my own web page

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 22 08:21:34 UTC 2012

On 21/07/12 16:57, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I have a web page that celebrates my dog.  I've been posting my
> pictures and videos to it, learning about web pages and such as I go
> along.
> I've just gotten thumbnails sorted out, and I'm on to the videos.
> They're fine when viewed through the File Manager, but not through a
> browser from the page itself.  They either stay black, or show a few
> frames and go black.    The same thing happens from my Windows 7
> laptop, but I mostly see Flash on it so I don't know if it views other
> plain video files properly.
>
> The videos are AVI and MP4.  Clicking "save link as" saves an exact
> copy, so I presume I'm serving them right, but I cannot be sure.
>
> The system is Ubuntu 11.04, with Xubuntu added.  (I plan to install
> xubuntu 12.04.1 when I get a Round Tuit) I run an xfce session.  The
> browsers I use are Firefox and Chrome.
>
> I don't know if I'm serving them wrong, or have the browsers set up
> wrong.  It would be nice to know if anyone sees them properly and can
> guide me through setup, or if everyone sees what I do and I'm actually
> serving them wrong.
>
> the page is http://kosmanor.com/Cully.

What video codecs are you using? You can't just use any codec dumped
from a camcorder and expect it to work on a web page. Modern browsers
such as Chrome and Firefox usually recommend using the Webm
codec/container for video playback. Looking at your web page, it seems
the videos are AVI format - this is probably the worst format to use on
the web, since it is uncompressed and cannot normally be played
in-browser. You can easily do conversion with ffmpeg/libav - avi to webm
would be:
*ffmpeg -i foo.avi foo.webm*
More info is here: http://paulrouget.com/e/converttohtml5video/
You could optionally add html5 video controls to allow playback without
exiting the webpage.

Joshua