[xubuntu-users] harddisk failure, or Xubuntu refuses to load

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 15:07:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Joshua O'Leary
<joshua.oleary at btinternet.com> wrote:
> "Should I run a more in depth SMART test on the disks?" This may be helpful
> in order to work out what area of the disk is actually causing the problem.

As I managed to boot easily into Xfce, I was able to use
GSmartControl, a GUI to smartmontools. I ran a short self-test and it
completed with a "read failure":
Type: Short offline
% Completed: 10%
Lifetime hours: 6150
LBA of the first sector: 212886687
(LBA seems to mean: Logical block addressing.)

This seems to confirm the dmesg messages. But what am I to do with
this information? Can I mark this sector as 'bad' so that the OS
doesn't try to touch it subsequently? Can I use the SMART capabilities
to do something similar? Or does this mean that the disk is toast? For
what it's worth, the ' Overall health self-assessment test' is still
marked as 'PASSED'.

Regards
Liviu