[xubuntu-users] Stop the notification area in Xfce

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Sat Jul 14 15:31:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012, at 09:01 AM, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Lee Gold <leegold at operamail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a way in Xubuntu to completely remove or stop all action of the
> > notification area? I want all icons just show up in the panel like they
> > used too.
> >
> > If I just check in panel preference to not show the notification area
> > then icons which only show up there will be missing. That is not want
> > I'm asking.
> >
> > I want to completely uninstall it and have those icons show big and
> > distinctly on the panel not crammed into a small area which is unusable
> > on a hi-res laptop.
> >
> > Or set the notification area to contain absolutely nothing and then
> > remove it from the panel = that would work if the icon relegated to it
> > show up normally after that.
>
> If you completely remove and uninstall the notification area, then the
> icons will not appear anywhere anymore. They only show up in the
> notification area, and without it they will just not show.
> You can, however, move your notification area to the bigger panel, and
> then it will adjust its size and display bigger icons.
>
> Or maybe you don't mean the notification area at all, but instead you
> are thinking about the indicator plugin? Just uninstalling it with the
> package manager gets rid of it nicely, it's always the first thing
> that I do.
> --
> Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl

No difference w/or w/out indicator plugin.

IMHO the notification area is an unnecessary complication. Why force me
to squish my panel icons into a tiny area? - esp. w/hi-res laptop it
makes no sense.

Why is my volume control inside the indicator plugin? What mysterious
rationale is there for this? Clipboard managers also are relagated to it
too(?)

I just want ease of use, and not to squint. Why did they do this?