[xubuntu-users] Xscreensaver oddity

Pete Flugstad pete.flugstad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:15:40 UTC 2012

MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at ...> writes:
> On one of my machines, when xscreensaver is running and the system is
> locked, when I type something or move the mouse, the pop-up window
> where xscreensaver receives input for the password (and allows cancel
> or new login) does not overlay the screen saver image that is on
> display.  The mouse appears and can only move within the area where
> the window would appear, but the window not visible.

> Is anyone else seeing this?

FYI, I'm seeing basically the exact same thing.  I can still enter my
password and unlock, but my kids can't hit the Switch User button to
log in as themselves (not necessary a bad thing :-).

I'm running XUbuntu 12.04 (x86_64) on an Intel Sandy Bridge (i5-2500)
system with an AMD Radeon HD 5450.  I do not have any xorg.conf.  But
I believe I have the AMD binary driver (fglrx) installed.

> I've had an exchange with Jamie (who wrote xscreensaver), and he
> thinks my video driver may be at fault.

I believe this started when I installed the fglrx driver a few days
ago (I seemed to have been running in VESA mode previously), so I'm
pretty sure that that's the problem.   Did anything else change
recently that might have caused this? (xscreensaver)

dpkg reports:

xserver-xorg-video-radeon  1:6.14.99~git20111219.aacbd629-0ubuntu2
             X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver
fglrx-updates              2:8.960-0ubuntu1
             Video driver for the AMD graphics accelerators

Interestly, jockey doesn't know fglrx_updates is installed
(I think I used apt-get to install it).

/var/log/Xorg.0.log reports:

[    18.970] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
[    18.970] (II) Loading
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules/\
       extra-modules.dpkg-tmp/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
[    19.630] (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
[    19.658]    compiled for 1.4.99.906, module version = 8.96.4
[    19.658]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver

That version seems quite a bit different than what is on AMD's web
site (12.6)?  Or is the version numbering all messed up and I'm
running the open source version?

I can run the AMD Catalyst Control Center - I'm wondering if anyone
has any clue on what I could tweak to try and get this fixed (nothing
obvious jumps out).  Or should I talk to AMD about their driver.

Thanks,
Pete