[xubuntu-users] Lightdm killed during boot

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 21:37:09 UTC 2012

On Jul 4, 2012 11:35 AM, "Joshua O'Leary" <joshua.oleary at btinternet.com>
wrote:

> Is gdm installed aswell? Maybe they are starting at the same time (would
be unusual but may have happened on a corrupted system), in which case you
could try removing gdm.

It wasn't completely installed, but purging it did not solve the issue.

> Also, try another display manager such as lxdm or xdm and see if they
work properly.

I'm not familiar with either one - would they know to bring up my xfce
sessions?

I have this strange expectation that the distro should not need this kibd
of alteration and/or debugging just to work more or less out of the

> Does running startx from a logged in tty work?

Never tried that, but the man page leaves too much out for experimentation
on my work production desktop.  Since adding the restart to my
/etc/rc.local works, I'll probably leave it at that.

Klunky, but it works.

Many thanks.

MR