[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu Freezes, how config for old PC ?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 02:27:54 UTC 2012

On 06/29/2012 04:08 PM, Lee Gold wrote:
> Using Xubuntu 11.10.
>
> When using Firefox loading pages and other apps open as well the system
> will begin to slow then freeze. Nothing I do other than a hard reboot
> w/button com PC case will help.
>
> I expect that system will slow but don't expect it to freeze. Isn't
> there a page/swap file that takes over when memory overwhelmed?
>
> Using p4 w/512m ram, not a new system...
>
> Is there anything I can config? Can I config apps to absolutely release
> memory when they are closed?
I think the latest FF release is a pig. No, it's a hawg. I have stopped
using it and started using chrome. FF was taking forever to load a page
and it got slower and slower and finally quit. I didn't think to run top
on it. I'd close it and run Chrome, all was well. I like FF when it
behaves. The version 13 they just updated us to is not one of their best
efforts... if it walks like a pig.... it might be a pig. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html