[xubuntu-users] Two power managers

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Tue Jan 31 02:29:03 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 08:11:53PM -0800, Mike Kupfer wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
> > I have 'start gnome services' checked - could this be a gnome thing
> > and if so how do i stop it?
>
> I tried enabling GNOME services and logging back in, and I got two power
> manager icons, like the ones in the png file that you attached.  But I
> didn't see anything extra in the Sessions tab.  I disabled GNOME
> services and logged in again, and I was back to one power manager icon.
>
> So I'd try disabling GNOME services on your system.  (And it probably
> wouldn't hurt to uncheck the box in the logout window about saving the
> current session.)  If there are specific GNOME services you need to
> start, maybe you can add them to the Application Autostart tab.

Thanks for the suggestion, disabling gnome services fixed my two issues:

 * The second battery icon dissappeared - only xcfe4-power-manager shows now.
 * When I resume my laptop from suspend it no longer goes back to sleep immediately.

So my guess is there is some gnome service causing both issues.

The problem is that I now get prompted for my SSH key passphrase every time I ssh anywhere, which was the reason I started gnome services in the first place, I think.

So I have three more questions for the list:

 * Does anyone know which gnome service is causing the battery icon and how I turn it off?
 * Should I file a bug and which package should that be against? Seems very similar to these two bugs:
	https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-session/+bug/872515
	https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfdesktop4/+bug/893811
 * In the mean time how do I manually start the gnome service that manages my ssh keys properly?

Thanks for your help and time.

Cheers,

Chris.