[xubuntu-users] Links on desktop are not listed - why not?

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Wed Feb 22 16:10:26 UTC 2012

On 22/02/12 05:36, Lee Gold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something I never noticed and wondered if you could explain. When I view
> my /home/.../Desktop in a file manager or ls command in the terminal I
> see no items. But what you would call shortcuts in Windows lingo are
> there, maybe they are called links in Linux (?). A link to my home
> folder, trash, a link to File System is there on my desktop. I would
> like the file manager and the ls command to report these objects. How is
> this done? Why doesn't Xubuntu 11.10 show this?
>
> Thanks

Hi,
Links on the desktop are created by the desktop manager itself (xfwm4),
and are not physically found on the desktop. You can toggle these by
going into the desktop settings (right click on desktop>Desktop
Settings>Icons). If you wanted these to be listed, you would first
disable (uncheck) these in desktop settings, and create the links
manually (through right click>Create launcher, or ln -s for symbolic links).

Joshua