[xubuntu-users] Connection issue with Sprint 4G Mobile Hotspot

theuteck at gmail.com theuteck at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:09:04 UTC 2012

On Sunday, December 30, 2012 02:21:38 PM Charles Collins wrote:

I am a new convert from Microsoft Windows, and have 12:10 Xubuntu installed.

The problem is with the wi-fi connection to our 4G Sprint Mobile Hotspot.
 Sometimes it works fine, but most of the time I get a screen when attempting
to access a web page that says:  This Web Page is not Available.  The server
at www.xxxxxxxx.com can't be found because the DNS look-up failed.  And it
continues with suggestions which I have tried.  A friend helped me do the
conversion from Windows, and is pretty adept at finding his way around, but
this has him stumped as well.
The wireless connection shows to be fine, and the whole time I'm having this
trouble, my wife is surfing without any problems on her computer that uses
Windows.
While far from being an expert, I do have some basic understanding.  So if you
can make suggestions in laymans terms, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Do you have another internet connection at that location?  I have an issue at
home were my system will connect to the wireless even when connected to the
LAN.  So your system could being using the wrong connection if it sees both.

If not, then it might be a DNS issue on the Linux system, but I am assuming
that the page you get error on your wife can navigate to fine.   If could be
your system is caching a bad DNS name, take a look at this link to see if it
helps clear it:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-clearflush-dns-cache-in-ubuntu.html