[xubuntu-users] VBox no Internet connection Quantal amd64

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Dec 15 17:01:17 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-15 at 09:13 +0100, Marc Coevoet wrote:
> On 15-12-12 07:09, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I used XP (guest) in VBox (open source) on Arch Linux amd64 (host) and
> > connected to the network by NAT. VBox on Arch Linux started with older
> > versions, but last version was newer, than Ubuntu's version is, so I
> > downgraded the guest additions.
>
> I never had problems with xubuntu, now 12.04lts, and eg
> http://freefr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/kb1oiq-andysham/ubuntu-remix-12.iso
>
> I don't check the nat box.

Thank you Marc,

I need to get it run on the existing Quantal install. I could test what
happens, if I link from VBox installed by my Precise install. I noticed
that for a Fedora install in VBox, Xubuntu Quantal is missing the
extension pack, so that it can't start, because it was saved with USB 2
usage on Arch. Perhaps I should remove the packages from the Ubuntu
repositories and try the packages from the Oracle homepage.

I'm not against workarounds, but the computer is my tool for some kinds
of work and the tool should work as expected. NAT did work on Arch and
it has to work on Ubuntu too.

Regards,
Ralf

OT: Regarding to several other issues, I hope I don't have to install
Windows outside VBox and to give up Linux for serious work. I'm using
Linux only since 10 years (I already need Windows in VBox :( for the
tablet PC and I already use very weak Linux software for some hardware,
e.g. for the KORGR nanoKONTROL, for the RME audio card, at least I
should switch to the KORG software from Linux to Windows in VBox on
Linux). A lot of things that worked, don't work any more, e.g.
Evolution. There are always workarounds, but stopping using NAT,
transform mails and use another mail client, find a replacement for
GIMP, to switch the DE every year etc. pp. at some point is nonsense,
because it's not possible to change the workflow all the times,
especially if there already was a good workflow. I would keep outdated
software, that works for me, but unfortunately hardware from time to
time needs to be replaced etc., so upgrades are needed. They are also
needed for new software (development, testing, security or just because
the times are changing). It's a pity that nowadays there are so many
issues regarding to software that never caused that much issues in the
past, while OTOH Linux pro-audio software became better.