[xubuntu-users] DVD burner not loading new discs

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 23:07:20 UTC 2012

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, mischa falkenburg wrote:

> On 08/30/2012 10:50 PM, bob wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:04:35 -0400
>> mischa falkenburg <because_productions at myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>>      I'm pretty sure that this problem was self-inflicted...but only for
>>> the following reason:
>>>
>>> When a new DVD disc is in the drive, it'll "try" to load but nada,
>>> When the computer reboots to try an .iso, it'll load fine.
>>>
>>> The self-infliction most likely happened while I was trying to "explore"
>>> burning discs in different formats after converting the files (visual
>>> and audio). Now, weeks later I'm finally getting really upset with
>>> myself and turning to you for help.
>>>
>>> Perhaps, might an incorrect Command be being used? For example, in the
>>> "Removable Drives and Media" in "Preferences", Blank CDs & DVDs, the
>>> "check" is ON for Burn When Blank Is Inserted, and the commands are
>>> showing: /usr/bin/dvdauthor & /usr/bin/brasero.
>>>
>>> To tell the truth, I've only ever used Brasero to burn discs, so that
>>> just goes to show ya...
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> As always, Thanks-In-Advance.
>>> Mischa
>> I apologize for this silly idea, but I had trouble with Xfburn in 12.04 so
>> installed Brasero, which worked fine for me.  I haven't used Xfburn for a
>> couple of months.
>>
>> That, of course, should be a last resort and if anyone can solve the
>> problem in a more direct fashion that should be preferred.

> I should ask a question that is more direct and to the point...
>
> Is it possible to run a diagnostic on the DVD burner?
>
> M.

I don't know but i have had the same problem as yourself from time to time (if
that's any consolation). Brasero mostly ok until 10.04 [i couldn't select a slow
speed to burn iso i recall] when i switched back to k3b. I don't understand why
xubuntu sometimes has Xfburn on one release and then Brasero on the next. Due to
this i've stayed with k3b for 12.04.

james